Tuesday, October 24

Obviously, it has been much too long since I updated.

I knew this would be a problem.


To bring everyone (although I doubt enough people read this to count as 'everyone') up to speed, here are some of the more important things that have happened to me recently:


1. A performance of Haydn's Missa in tempore belli, aka. the Paukenmesse. It was wonderful to sing with an orchestra again. This mass was, as legend has it, composed by Haydn as he heard the approaching artillery from Napoleon's unstoppable war machine as it ground its way across Austria. Haydn used brass fanfares and the tympani (or pauken in German, hence the name) to recreate these sounds. Listen to the Agnus Dei for best effect.





2. The Rolling Stones. The Stones are a group that people note as a landmark in their concert lives, and I am no different. Yes, they're old. Yes, their popularity waned years ago. Yes, I spent more money than I should have on a ticket. Yes, they were awesome. And the Dave Matthews Band, who opened for them, was pretty darn good too. You heard me. Dave Matthews. Rolling Stones. Awesome drips from every pore.



3. Christopher Aitken. A wonderful friend and musician, Mr. Aitken came to visit last week, to see The Pass and to look into the prospect of taking my job when I leave this year. A good time was had by all, at least when Czechs, one-way streets, and random bars weren't involved. The fun was to be had in Der Messias (Blick auf!) and... well, Charlotte's Web.

Don't expect it to make sense.

Sadly, no pictures of his time in El Paso were taken, so I decided to add the picture of the first thing to come up on a Google image search of "Christopher Aitken". If this guy had a dictionary entry, it would say, "see also - smarmy lawyer".






And that pretty much brings you up to speed. I'm still very busy with school, which dominates much of my time. Papers, reports, analysis, studying, etc. All part of grad school. When something else comes up, I'll be more punctual in writing about it.

For, well, whomever reads this.

No comments: